Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Lean on Me

Oops, I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but I had the sweetest encounter with an elderly lady. I was on my way home from my weekly shopping trip to the grocery store when I came across a bent over, 80-something old woman with a cane. Each step seemed like a great feat for her, but the effort obviously tired her. So, I stopped for a second to ask if she was okay and she immediately stretched out her hand. I reached out mine, surprised that she was so trusting of a complete stranger, and she gripped with all her might. She was going to the pharmacy around the corner (a 2 minute walk for me) to pick up her medication, but a combination of the slight incline of the sidewalk, the cold weather and the 20 mph winds aggravated her asthma. So, I walked her to the pharmacy. The trip took about 7-8 minutes because a half step for me was an arduous one for her and she needed to stop to catch her breath a few times. When we got to the pharmacy, the man behind the counter assured me that someone would help her home. I didn't find out her name, but I'll never forget her grip on my hand or the way her face lit up when I offered to help her. Plus, this encounter reminded me to cherish my youthful energy.

So, I suppose your challenge for today is:

Ask someone if they need help crossing the street, lifting groceries into the trunk, etc. They might politely decline your offer or they might really appreciate it. It sounds so simple and cliche, but we often just walk on by unaware that people really do need your help.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know sometimes you are so scared to lend a helping hand, mainly because you're afraid of being insulted or simply ignored. This becomes very insulting and ever so strange when you come from a culture where everyone is so accepting. However, like you said or insinuated, doing so is a risk that we must take at times.

Really enjoyed this Teri, am becoming addicted in checking your blog..lol!

Have a good one.

Teri said...

Hey Carloo, I'm so happy you like the blog. Thanks for stopping by. Love you girl!

Anonymous said...

WOW, somethgin so small pribabaly meanta lot ot her and of course to you as well. That was very nice of you to do. Most peopel prefer to walk by and never even take a second look. I think things like this make up those sweet long lasting memories!!

~BP~